Published: Friday, 24 March 2017
Our next state champion spotlight is John Lane of Yarmouth. He won the Class B Freestyle state title this year. He also won the freestyle in 2015. We asked him about his state meet, his preparations, and his goals.
1) What were your preparations leading up to the state meet?
-Pick ups to engage muscles
-a lot of resting
2) How did you deal with the pressure and emotions that come along with competing in a state meet?
-I focused all emotions into working as hard as I possibly could during the race
-It was my last high school race in the Yarmouth Uniform so I knew I wanted to leave it all on the course
3) What was going through your mind at the starting line?
-This is going to be painful but worth it
4)You won the freestyle state meet in 2015 and again this year. What do you attribute your fast races to? What was your reaction to winning?
-I push my self extremely hard when I step into any competitive environment and that leads to success on the course
-It was a great feeling to be back on the top of the podium especially for the final time out in high school
5) What are some of your best memories from ski racing this past season?
-Being with the Yarmouth Ski Team at ski training camp in December because we work hard, bond and gear up for the season. The chemistry with the team is great.
6) What is your favorite part about skiing and ski racing?
The feeling you get when you’ve climbed a massive hill and then you get ridiculous speed coming down. I also love cheering on my teammates when they are doing the same.
7) What are your plans for next year?
I’m excited to study at Bowdoin College in Brunswick
8) What were your goals for this season and did you achieve them?
My goal was to win 1st place in both Classic and Freestyle but I am very happy with only winning Freestyle. The Marannacook boys were killing it and Zach totally deserved to win the Classic race. I also hoped that I could be a good Captain to my team and inspire them as much as they inspired me.